Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Magical Sock Yarn Bush

For a little while now I have been contemplating knitting socks. I have vague, rose tinted visions of padding around my house in gorgeous lacy socks made from amazingly soft (non-itchy, non-allergic reaction causing) wool. But I had no sock yarn... I wouldn't even look at the sock yarn in my LYS. I felt no need to go down that potential addiction forming path...

But look what grew in my yard last week!
OK. So it didn't sprout from a bush in neat little yarn cakes. But it sounds good right? Alright, I admit it: I went over to the dark side. A couple weeks ago my LYS held a sock night and I succumbed.


The yarn is ShiBuiKnits Sock, a 100% superwash merino. It is really soft and I am hoping that I won't itch when I wear it.

The pink & green colorway is called Orchid and I plan to use it for my first pair of socks. I hope to knit them and wear them during my labor and delivery in July.
The blue colorway is Midnight and I plan to use it for a hat and matching booties for #2.
The three skeins of Chinese Red will be used for the Vintage Baby Cardigan. I plan to make it for Pooh Bear but she will outgrow it quickly (she is just barely in the last size) so I picked a unisex color and I will replace the ribbon tie closure with a button so #2 can wear it too.
And so the yarn sock addiction begins, I can tell already. I've been surfing the web, ogling sock yarn, stalking the Seattle yarn shops, drooling over colorways and maybe, just maybe, a few more skeins have grown in my garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That yarn is gorgeous!

Stacia
www.pipandtom.com

Anonymous said...

Sock yarn and sock knitting are very addicting. The last pair of socks that I made were out of a mohair/merino/silk blend. I wore them yesterday to work and they did not itch or feel weird against my skin. In fact they felt amazing and comforting and very theraputic; just like knitting them. Hope you enjoy the package that's on it's way to you :-)

Hugs from your SP10