Friday, April 13, 2007

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

I was having one of those days yesterday- not the really bad kind, where everything goes wrong and you can kvetch about it and everyone understands, but the icky kind. The kind where you just feel off kilter, grumpy for no reason and while nothing catastrophic happens nothing goes quite as you intended either. This kind of bad day is almost worse because you start complaining to your friends, your non-verbal daughter, your cats and your houseplants and they all stare at you as if to say, "And..." There really isn't a problem but you feel like there is- do you know what I am talking about or are you now staring blankly at your computer screen?

Anyhoo. Yesterday was an icky day for me. My daughter didn't nap in her normal way and so she was fussy. I wanted to run errands and "get something done" but my daughter's failure to nap nixed that idea. I went shopping for some maternity capris because I know, I just know, that at some point the weather will turn and it will be warmer. How is it possible to be too big for a size medium but to be swallowed whole by a size large? What kind of specs are these maternity clothing folks using? The "I'm sorry but if you are a short, borderline size 8/10 because you were too lazy to lose all the weight from your first pregnancy before you, surprise, got pregnant again woman with overly developed calf muscles you will need to be naked from the waist down for your third trimester" spec? Because seriously, I have been to four stores and have tried on (no exaggeration) 36 pairs of capris (jeans, khakis and black, I'd settle for one pair or some combination of the three) and unless I am willing to pay $65+ for a pair of capris I will only wear for 2-3 months I am SOL. Now I already coughed up $80 earlier so I would have a pair of jeans to wear (semi justifiable since I had a potential 6 months to wear them in) so I am not really into forking over the equivalent of 3 skeins of STR (um yes, sock yarn bug has bitten HARD!!!!) for capris... And yes, I have thought about cutting off my jeans but there are two problems with this: 1) I live in Seattle. It was 78 degrees last Friday. It is 52 today. Even in the heart of the summer you can find yourself needing long pants. 2) My jeans are only a demi panel. For those of you who have not experienced the joy of the third trimester belly in your life this means that shortly the elastic panel designed to keep my pants up will no longer come up on my belly high enough to do its job. Not only will my belly likely be exposed if I don't wear a long enough shirt but the possibility of dropping trou can also occur without warning and nobody wants to see that. This girl needs capris with a full panel.


But really none of that is the point of this post.


The point is this, into every rainy day a little sun must fall and here is mine:


My first package from my Secret Pal! Yippee!

It arrived yesterday afternoon and made all the grumpy ickiness go away (at least for a couple hours *wink*). Such fun goodies - I am so excited. 2 skeins of Catalina baby alpaca in Red (a lovely rich color), a little stuffed ram to add to my collection of sheep, Nestle Crunch with Caramel bars (um, one didn't make it to the photo), Ghirardelli Caramel squares, and last, but certainly not least, a copy of the Yarn Harlot's new book! My pal even had the book signed at the recent NYC Represent event, so cool. I don't think I will make it to Portland or Vancouver to see the Harlot in person since I will be 8 months pregnant so this was a great gift (but I want to go badly, Hubby doesn't think much of my casual, "It is only a four drive" statement). So HUGE thanks to my pal (who resides in Brooklyn), I loved all of it!!
The gift I sent to my spoilee should arrive today or tomorrow and I only hope she likes it as much as I like mine... I am excited to see her reaction, picking out of few things for this round was a bit harder than I had anticipated but I already have a couple ideas for my next package...
I'm off to work on a baby gift for a shower next weekend, fingers crossed that it will be done on-time (the baby bolero from OneSkein)... I also need to cast on for the Bubbly curtain from MDK for my powder room but I just "discovered" (denial had a part in this I think or maybe just pregnancy induced stupidity) that my window is twice as long as the one in the book and I am going to need more yarn.

No comments: