Monday, April 30, 2007

This Time We're Keeping Them

I've hinted at my baby knits problem in previous posts but I don't think I have really explored it fully. It really isn't a problem, I guess, maybe more of an issue... You see, over the past year and a half since I learned to knit I have made many cute little things for babies. The issue (problem?) is that very few of these adorable little items actually reside at my house. I feel like my little Pooh Bear should have to show for all my industriousness.

A quick count. She has four things I've knit for her: 3 hats and the toy rabbit. A little reflection reminds me that I have knit several pairs of booties (4-5), a bunch of hats (5-6), a bib, and a sweater and I'm pretty sure I have forgotten something(s) in addition to the things I knit for Pooh Bear. Clearly my friends need to stop having babies so I can do more for my own baby and baby to be (got that ladies? no more babies! too bad I have five pregnant friends at the moment).


I feel like my knitting is a classic case of the cobbler's children having no shoes. It isn't that I don't have plans to make things for my family, they just always get back-burnered by more "urgent" projects that have deadlines.


But, no more! (or at least for a little bit)


Look! Baby Knits for MY Baby!


I finally finished the Royal Baby Set from Blue Sky Alpacas: Sleeveless wrap sweater, hat & slippers. Knit from Bunny Hop by Crystal Palace on size 4 needles. The colorway is #2302 Baby Blues and it is a bit lighter/brighter in real life - my picture is a bit dark. I used approximately 2 1/4 skeins. I'm really glad to have leftover yarn because these slippers are huge. Not what I would consider a newborn size. I'm going to downsize the pattern and make a smaller pair. My intention is to have this be #2's coming home outfit so I need smaller booties.


Work continues on the Albatross but I feel like I am almost to the homestretch (only 7 pattern repeats plus the border to go - 61 rows total).


I also have a pair of pants on the needles for the baby to be.


And a bib for my friend who will probably give birth this week (I just can't help it, can I?)


Hmmm... I guess I need to get something going for my darling girl- I don't want her to feel left out :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great!

Stacia
pipandtom.com

Austysmum said...

Oh, I am SOOO the same! My sister is complaining because I haven't made much for her fourth child, but that was because my own son turned 1 and I realised I had only made him a couple of things in his first year and all the nephews and nieces got more than my own boy. I was determined to change that, and unfortunately her fourth child will have to put up with the many handade things I made for his brothers and sister! Austy has to have something made by mummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have been finding every.single.bootie pattern is way too big lately. The only exception I know of is LMKG angora booties. They actually do fit on young baby feet -- 0-6 mos with 6 mos really stretching it.

What I haven't tried yet, but will, are plain old baby socks. Seems like I could wip up some infant socks in a couple hours and make them as tiny as I want.