Monday, May 07, 2007

Could it Be?

I feel like I should have some big, majestic movie-esque music to go along with this post (Rocky theme? theme from 2000/2010? Anything by John Williams?) but, alas, I am not that technically savvy so just imagine the appropriate soundtrack...

The Albatross. Is. Done. Finis. Finito. Fait Accompli.

Whew. I finished weaving in the ends a few hours ago.

If the baby comes now, I will not feel like I have failed.

Here it is in all its glory:

And a close up picture for the pattern.


The Gory Details:
Pattern: Ruffled Ridges Baby Blanket from Fiber Trends
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas hand Dyed Cotton in Indigo (7.5 skeins)
Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars, US Size 8
Finished Size: 45" x 37"

In the end I decided not to add any stripes and I stuck to the pattern as written. My blanket ended up a bit larger than the pattern said it would be but that doesn't surprise me since I started the blanket a year and a half ago and I used to knit tighter so when I picked it up again this year I'm sure my gauge was off. I'm enormously pleased to be finished and while it is not perfect (there is one mistake in the border but you'd really have to look to find it) it is a really nice blanket. I cannot express how much I love this yarn. It is totally delicious which was good because I otherwise I would have given up long ago.

I would have finished last Thursday but I ran out of yarn with 5 rows to go. No, I didn't panic. I knew I had another skein but I had to find it and my craft room is in a total state of disarray. It is the one room that has yet to be unpacked so every time I go in there to get something it is an adventure. I knew the skein existed but I couldn't remember where I saw it last :) Two days, many boxes and a few plastic drawers later - success!

But then I needed to wind it into a ball... Now where did I put my winder and swift (relatively recent purchases - yippee!). Found them and wound the yarn yesterday. Finished knitting last night and wove in the ends this afternoon during Pooh Bear's nap. Snapped some
photos and voila! Finished.

Thank goodness because I have so many things I want to knit and now I have this behind me and I can move on to other fun things :) Like maybe another (much smaller) blanket? Um, not just yet but it is on the list. I am crazy. I plead pregnancy.

On the baby front, I apologize for being cryptic in my last post and then leaving you hanging but all the excitement led to nothing. Last Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning I had a series of contractions for about an hour. They were really painful (definitely not Braxton-Hicks) and were about 8 minutes apart which isn't too close together if you are close to your due date but can be a little anxiety inducing when you still have 10 weeks to go. I saw my doctor and everything is still ok. I'm a teensy-weensy bit dilated but that could be due to the contractions or it could just be that is where body is since I already had one child. So no biggie. If it happens again... well, that could be a different story. And I will cross that bridge when & if I come to it. I will not worry about it. Not. worrying. (Positive self-talk y'all!) Although, I have thought all along that #2 is going to be early, like at least 2-3 weeks. So we'll see. Two weeks to my next appointment.

12 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

I never got to feel real contractions, my water broke and I had to be induced, and still then, I wasn't really contracting... and then had an epidural and never really felt anything.... but still had a natural delivery, not a C-section. I really did have an odd experience. I hope it's easier w/the second child. I hear they are faster to deliver! I hopey ou feel better soon!

Sasha said...

Woohoo Katie, you finished! Congratulations!

I had several hours of contractions 15 days before I had my second daughter. Hopefully it'll be the real deal the next time you feel them!

Megan said...

oh, scary. I'm glad it all came to nothing, 30 weeks is too soon. Tell that little anxious one to stay in there a bit longer.

The blanket is lovely, I'm sure baby will love it. You will serve as inspeiration to get mine done.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Good work, it's gorgeous. Stay in there, baby, momma's got more knitting to do before you arrive...

Angie said...

That blanket is beautiful. Isn't if funny once we set our minds to something, it becomes so much easier. Good luck with the new baby, rest, stay off of your feet. Remember, you want to make it as close to 40 weeks as you can.

a. said...

congratulations on finishing the blanket! and it's good to hear that the contractions have let up - hopefully the little guy will stay in until he's fully baked :)

take care!

RandomRanter said...

Followed you over from the slogalong - the blanket is excellent! And I agree with amandasan, proper baking is important, so tell baby to be patient.

Jessica said...

Yay, it's done!

Melissa said...

Wow. It's absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it will be your favorite for years to come. And the baby will surely love snuggling with it. Sigh!
Anyway, contractions are exciting no matter the form. How many weeks are you now?

Melissa said...

n/m, just read the other comments and see your about 30 weeks. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm sure that baby will be very cozy :-)

I never felt my contractions either, in fact, I never knew I was in labor until the nurse told me when they were doing a stress test. Even when it was time for the C-Section and I was 2 minutes apart I never felt them. Hopefully your's will go just as easy and all will be well

Jeanne said...

Congratulations on finishing! Yay! And I'm glad the contractions stopped. Do you think s/he knew you were about finished and couldn't wait to see it?