Saturday, March 03, 2007

Secret Pal 10 Questionnaire

Yup. I'm participating in SP10 - my first time and I am really excited! My husband is mumbling something like, "...crazy whacko knitters..." Here's my info:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I really like knitting with alpaca and with cotton… Since I am a relatively new knitter I don’t have that much experience with various fibers and I have been reluctant to use wool because I can’t wear wool directly next to my skin without itching like crazy. I did recently knit a hat from Aurora 8 merino wool without incident, however, so maybe there is hope.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

At the moment, a lovely Ziploc bag. Tres Classy.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for about a year and a half with almost a year hiatus during that time. I took several Learn to Knit classes while I was pregnant with my daughter. I’d consider myself an advanced beginner to low intermediate. I routinely take project knitting classes and I don’t mind asking for help so I can tackle higher level projects.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have an amazon wish list


5. What's your favorite scent?
Lavender


6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Under normal circumstances I have a more savory than sweet tooth, HOWEVER! I am pregnant so all bets are off and I want way more sweets than usual. A favorite candy? Combinations of chocolate and caramel. I am really digging the Nestle Crunch with Caramel right now.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I cross-stitch. I dabble in other crafty things (scrapbooking and crochet for instance). I want to learn to sew. I am looking for a needle felting class and one of these days I’d like to tackle dying my own yarn. No spinning yet. But I’m not ruling it out.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like all kinds of music. Really. Hip hop to opera. The only things I really can’t tolerate are heavy metal (the current crop of “artists”- I really like the old 80’s big hair bands), super electronic sounding techno & overly sappy easy listening (think Celine Deion – sorry!)


9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

My favorite color is pink followed very closely by red. I’ve been really into wearing shades of green and I love wearing brown. I am not too keen on yellow.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married with one daughter and a new little one coming our way in mid-July (a boy). We have five cats which is a bit eccentric but it works for us J


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Mostly Scarves or mittens. It rarely gets cold enough for a hat but I have been known to sport a fashion hat on occasion. I do wear ponchos on occasion.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I have knit a fair number of baby things: booties & hats mostly. I am currently tackling my first baby sweater. Still learning so I don’t have a favorite thing yet really.

13. What are you knitting right now?

A baby blanket (bane of my existence- slow and, at this point, boring!), a baby sweater, a baby bonnet, and a scarf.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes. I like giving handmade gifts so it would be awkward if I didn’t like receiving them.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I prefer circulars (addi Turbo). If I am using straight needles I use bamboo. I do not like bamboo circulars.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I wish! I’m thinking of asking Santa next Christmas.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

My oldest knitting UFO is the baby blanket mentioned above. I started it in November of 2005. My oldest general UFO is a cross-stitch project I started for my husband (a picture of an “old fashioned” golfer) about ten or eleven years ago. I may have to finish it because recently he has been giving me a ton of grief about it.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

I think I’d have to say Christmas though I also get a big kick out of decorating for Halloween and Easter. My mom decorated for most holidays so I do the same.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Sheep. It started when my husband and I went on our honeymoon to Scotland and he bought me a small stuffed sheep.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Fitted Knits, any Debbie Bliss baby book (except Baby Cashmerino which I already have). Trekking in colorway #126 (pink, brown and cream)- I can’t knit socks yet but I want it just in case! No subscriptions yet.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Intarsia. And I need to get better with Fair Isle I’ve only done one small project thus far).

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I want to be a sock knitter. It is on my list of things to do. I wear a size 6.5 to seven (sorry, no tape measure handy!).

23. When is your birthday?

December 11

I can't wait for the fun to start :)

No comments: