Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Know I'm Going to Regret This

Ok, when I decided to start writing this blog I made a decision to avoid topics that had political overtones. It's not that I don't like a good political discussion, I just tend to think that these are better done in person where tone and body language can help clarify a person's statement and can help avoid some confusion and misinterpretation, making for a better (more civil?) discussion. I feel that online political discussions tend to get out of hand and I wanted to avoid any unpleasantness on my blog. However, I have to post about this topic even though tomorrow I might wish that I hadn't.

A couple notes before I continue, so that you don't think I am some heartless wench: 1) I think that knitting for a cause is a great thing. 2) I believe that animals should be treated humanely. I have 5 cats and they are spoiled beyond belief. They are all rescues and I have strong feeling about rescuing animals. In general, Ibelieve in better treatment for animals within reason... I admit I am not prepared to give up steak or leather shoes (sorry, just being honest).

With all that said, and with much trepidation I'll proceed...
Tonight I saw an article on the news that just made me laugh. The whole thing strikes me as silly. And let me clarify, both sides amuse me: the Navy's plan and the protest. I am not taking sides. The entire situation is ludicrous.

Here's the skinny: Apparently the Navy fears a terrorist attack against the Bangor submarine base here in Puget Sound and so they plan to use specially trained bottlenose dolphins (and possibly sea lions) to patrol the waters around the base (the Navy has alternatives but I'm guessing this is Plan A). A s you can imagine there is a group who believes it would be cruel and inhumane to put the dolphins who currently reside in San Diego (water temp of 60 degrees) into the colder waters of Hood Canal (46 degrees). There are other concerns (including the introductionof a non-native species to the area but this seems somewhat negated by the fact the dolphins will not be living in the sound, they will be housed in an aquarium-like enclosure) but the group seems most concerned with the temperature issue. The group is called Knitting for Dolphins. They are protesting by knitting sweaters, hats and mittens (should they be called flippens?) for the dolphins and they will be on hand at a public meeting held by the Navy this evening.
Seriously. I could not make this up. Edited: Lest anyone think I have no funny bone, I do realize that the protest is a bit tongue-in-cheek. But really, if I had to write an article for The Onion I could not have come up with a scenario like this.
I have just one thing to add: Should you wish to get involved the group's homepage suggests using wool for your protest knitting as it does better in the water but if I read the Navy's plan correctly the dolphins will be kept in a heated enclosure when they aren't on patrol meaning the garments will be going from warm to cold water (at least theoretically).
Better make it superwash folks- I think it probably counts as inhumane to felt a garment while the recipient is wearing it.

2 comments:

Megan said...

That is hysterical!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.